This article is exclusively for Customers who are upgrading from an earlier version of our Salesforce Connector (any version before 2.0) to the newest version. If you are setting up the Connector for the first time, you can simply follow the steps in this article.
Why Should I Upgrade to Version 2.0?
When we first launched the original BrightTALK Connector for Salesforce in early 2013 (version 1.0), the API and webinar integration market was still relatively new and underdeveloped. However, in the seven years since then, there has a been a massive leap forward in terms of the quality and consistency that integration vendors can provide.
At BrightTALK we have embraced these changes by progressively moving our integrations over to the cloud and we have repeatedly enhanced the data points we provide so that you can improve your follow-up strategies. Version 2.0 represents the first time we have brought these changes to the Salesforce Connector and it includes several key enhancements:
- Support for all new enhanced data points including those specific to Intent Lead and Summit Lead programs.
- Ability to sync Audience Questions so that you can always follow-up later on any questions asked during your webinar
- Move to a 100% Cloud Based infrastructure to ensure greater stability and reliability
- Overhaul and simplification of our authentication method so that you can easily add new Channels to your Connector
Things to Know Before Upgrading
Version 2.0 is a completely new version of our application, meaning it is not backwards compatible with previous versions of our Salesforce Connector. Please be aware of the following when upgrading to it:
- Any previously synced Lead, Contact, and Salesforce Campaign data will be saved, but any BrightTALK Channel specific data will not be.
- This means that you may lose things like field mappings and custom object data when you upgrade.
- After upgrading, you will also need to re-add each of your Connected BrightTALK Channels using the new authentication method (described below).
Note: Since we now had a number of version releases since the launch of 2.0, our official recommendation is to "puddle jump" to a middle release before upgrading to 2.x and above, as there are a large number of changes in the new versions that may not be compatible will all legacy releases. Here is the official chart for this:
|Your version||Jump to version||Package Id|
|2.0 and above||Current release version||Can install from the AppExchange|
Note 2: To install a version by package id, the format is:
https:// + [Your SFDC domain ] + /packaging/installPackage.apexp?p0= + [Package Id}
How to Upgrade
To begin the upgrade process, please have a Salesforce Admin install version 2.0 by going to this page and clicking the green "Get It Now" button. Proceed with the installation process by following the prompts. Once that installation is complete, please follow these steps:
1) From the Salesforce "Setup" Area, go to the "Jobs" area and select "Scheduled Jobs":
2) From the Scheduled Jobs area, find the job titled "BrightTALK for Salesforce" and delete that job:
3) Then, go to the BrightTALK Channels object and re-add your Channels as described here. Please note: unlike previous versions that used an API Key and Secret, this versions uses your BrightTALK Channel Owner's email and password.
4) Once you've added your Channels, click into one and select "Edit Layout":
5) Drag and drop the "Last Campaign Sync Status" and "Last Campaign Sync Date" fields into the interface and hit "Save" (upper left):
6) And that's it! Once you've setup each of your Channels, we recommend running a historical sync to make sure no data was lost during the upgrade.